All things come to a beginning

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Norwegian Wood

It's not the kind of book you can do justice by quoting a short fragment - it's an all-encompassing, submerging experience. So instead, I'll give you the lyrics to the Beatles' song the title is based on, also very appropriate:

I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.
She showed me her room, isn't it good, Norwegian wood?
She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere,
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair.
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine.
We talked until two and then she said, "It's time for bed".
She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.
And when I awoke I was alone, this bird had flown.
So I lit a fire, isn't it good, Norwegian wood.

4 Comments:

Blogger Oran said...

Ha, ik was laatst op zoek naar dit boek, maar zonder succes. Dus het is de moeite?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sofie Rycken said...

Zeker wel, but be warned: it gets under your skin. Het heeft dat vlakke, onbehaaglijke, lijzig-gevoelloze dat wel vaker met Japanse jongeren & hun suicide rates wordt geassocieerd (daarom niet terecht), maar genoeg oprecht warme momenten om je niet dood te slaan. Uiteindelijk is het universeel, en zegt het tragisch ware dingen over de liefde.

Ik zou 't je lenen, maar ik heb het zelf al van iemand anders :)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Oran said...

juk! oprecht warme momenten!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Sofie Rycken said...

Oei, ik had niet door hoe veel wol ik had gebruikt. Sorry. Anders duid ik de - sorry - "ontroerende passages die je naar de keel grijpen" aan met fluo, dan kun je ze gezwind skippen?

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home