All things come to a beginning

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I dare you

Bullseye.
- "So, how come you're single?"
- "I don't know!"
- "Isn't it just that you're scared?"

An online relationship test I did a few months ago threw this at me: "Maybe you aren't cynical. Just a little cautious. Either way, you've managed to keep your head on your shoulders. You do have a little bit of misanthropy going on up in there, but hey, when you build your solar powered cabin in the woods everything will be fine [...] Your best seduction move: be your honest and insightful self. A straight shooter (even a slightly damaged one) is a fine catch for anyone". Cautious? Misanthropy? Slightly damaged? True, true and true.

I still refuse to make a project out of it. Last night, I even crossed out a ripening Amélie plan. You know the kind. Writing a sweet note, making an arts&crafts kinda gift, playing off an inside joke, sliding something into a mail box or underneath a door, picturing the moment when they'll find it, frown, grin and fall for you a little more cause you're, oh so different and original and whimsically adorable. Been there, done that. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that approach per se, and god knows i'd appreciate in someone else, I'm just...kinda done with it. I don't know if it works. I don't know if it's not one of those myths girls hang on to cause it makes sense in their minds while guys couldn't care less about scrapbooks, cards and mysterious clues. And, most importantly, I don't find it very sincere. You're not really doing it for the other person, but to show off your own personality, are you not? I could be entirely wrong, but to me having to try too hard to "hook" someone is a red flag in and of itself. Aren't things supposed to flow naturally? If you have to stop the other person in their tracks and spell it out for them, using all sorts of intricate, creative, elaborate methods, doesn't that say enough about where you stand? Shouldn't it be a matter of spending time together, plain & simple?

Hey, I'm single, no rational reason to take my word for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love flattery, even though we are not deceived by it, because it shows that we are of importance enough to be courted. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

3:37 PM  
Blogger Sofie Rycken said...

To be perfectly honest, my Amélie plan isn't dead & buried just yet. I just haven't had my eureka moment yet on what would really catch him off guard...

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home